Carote all Giudia
- 1/4 cup olive oil or rendered goose or duck fat
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, any color, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 Tablespoons raisins, plumped in water or sweet wine
- 3 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- salt & pepper to taste
- Dash of vinegar or sugar to taste, optional
Braised Carrots, Jewish Style. Adapted from Cucina Ebraica by Joyce Goldstein. Serves 4.
Warm the oil (or fat) in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the carrots and saute until well coated with fat, 5-8 minutes. Add the water and cover the pan. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add the raisins with their liquid, and the pine nuts. Season with S & P. Add a little vinegar or sugar, or both. Serve warm or at room temperature.